Subject: Kim Chee
From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Dec 1998 17:28:22 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Kim Chee
Yields 1 quart

1 lb Chinese (celery or Nappa) cabbage
1 large carrot
1/4 lb white Oriental (Daikon) radishes
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tbs honey
3 Tbs cider vinegar
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic
2 to 4 hot red peppers, dried, 2 inches long, split

Slice the cabbage lengthwise into quarters.  Remove the tough core and then 
slice the quarters into 1 to 2 inch-long pieces. Slice the carrot and radishes 
lengthwise and then into 2 inch-long sections.  Slice the sections into very 
thin strips. Toss cabbage, carrot and radishes with the scallions, soy sauce and
water.  Cover loosely and let stand overnight. Drain liquid from the vegetables 
into a bowl.  Add honey and vinegar to the liquid and stir well until honey is 
dissolved. Add ginger, garlic and peppers to the vegetables and pack them into 
sterilized jars.  Pour liquid into the jars.  If more liquid is needed to cover 
vegetables, add water. Cover loosely with a lid and let sit at room temperature 
for 3 to 5 days to ferment.  The liquid will bubble and the flavor will become 
sour. Refrigerate the Kim Chee for 3 to 4 days.  The cabbage will become 
translucent and will be ready to serve.

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.