Subject: [THAI] Kai Pad Ki Mao (Drunkards Noodles and Chicken)
From: "Colonel I. F. K. Philpott" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Feb 1996 19:18:07 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

There are a number of lines of thought about ki mao dishes in Thailand.
They are widely served as bar snacks, in much the same way that Spanish
bars serve tapas (and serve to make you thirsty, when used for this
purpose).  Other dishes described in this way are eaten as a stomach
liner before embarking on a serious nights drinking.  Other such dishes
are served by the patient wife of the wandering husband who crawls back
hung over in the middle of the night only to realize that he has to get
up for work before 5 the following morning!

I hadn't heard of a noodle "ki mao" dish, but when I discussed it with
my wife, she came up with the following.  As is often the case it could
equally well be prepared with beef or pork.

Ingredients

6 ounces of wide rice ribbon noodles (sen yai)
1/4 cup of chopped shrimp
1/2 cup of chopped chicken
1/4 cup of firm tofu, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped shallots (purple onions)
1 tablespoon yellow bean sauce
1 tablespoon white (rice) vinegar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
4 tablespoons of palm sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon prik phom (ground red chillies)
1/4 cup of bean sprouts
1 tablespoon chopped mixed red and green prik chi fa (jalapenos)
1 coriander plant, chopped
1 cup of bai gaprao (holy basil leaves)
2 bulbs of pickled garlic, thinly sliced (garnish)
3-4 red jalapenos, julienned (garnish)

Method

Soak the noodles in water for about 15 minutes; take about a third of
the sen yai and cut the ribbons into short pieces (about 2" long).
The remaining two-thirds of the noodles should be plunged into boiling
water, and cooked until "toothy" then removed and placed on the serving
plate.

If desired the tofu can be marinated in some dark soy to which a couple
of sliced chillies are added.

The third of the noodles that have been chopped are fried in hot oil
until crispy.

The remaining ingredients, except the pickled garlic, are stir fried in
a medium hot wok until cooked through (if you want the sauce thickened
add a little rice flour or corn starch) and then poured over the boiled
noodles.  The fried noodles and the pickled garlic are then added as a
garnish.

Regards

Colonel Ian F. Khuntilanont-Philpott
Systems Engineering, 
Vongchavalitkul University,
Korat 30000, Thailand

===
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked]. 
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.