Subject: COLLECTION (5) Using Jalapenos
From: Vicki Oseland <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Jul 1997 09:44:27 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Pickled Chilies
Apricot Jalapeno Jelly
Chiles Jalapenos En Escabeche
Fiery Jalapeno Pesto
Jalapeno Salsa  (Cooked)

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Pickled Chilies

Recipe By     : Estella Gomez - Press Enterprise
Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Condiments                       Mexican
                Press Enterprise                 Vegetables

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
                        Oil
   1      pound         jalapeno peppers -- washed/dried
     1/4  cup           carrots -- sliced
   1      medium        onion -- sliced
                        salt -- to taste
                        garlic cloves -- peeled
   1      cup           vinegar
   1      cup           water
                        olive oil

Put 2 tbs. oil in a skillet and add washed and dried chilies.  Cook only
until skins blister.  Remove chilies and add carrots and onion and saute
until tender/crisp.  Peel and pack chilies in standing position in hot
clean pint canning jars.  Add salt to taste; about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. to each
jar.  Add 2 cloves garlic, 4-6 carrot slices and 2 onion slices.  Heat
equal parts of vinegar and water; pour mixture over chilies to within 1
inch of top of each jar.  Insert a dinner knife on inside of filled jar to
remove any bubbles; insert knife in middle of filled jars to remove
bubbles there.  This is done by moving the knife side to side.
Add olive oil to within 1/2-inch of rim of each jar.  Cover with lids and
caps and adjust.  Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.  Remove jars
and place on towels away from any drafts to drain.  Let stand 30-45
minutes until lids seal.  Test seals after allowed time by pressing lids.
If lids stay down they are sealed.  If not, store those jars of pickles in
refrigerator after they have cooled.  Store sealed jars in pantry or under
sink or in a cool, dark place.  
 
                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

NOTES : The above recipe may be modified using raw chilies and vegetables.
Make a 1-inch cut in each chile and do not saute.  Pack raw
vegetables and proceed as above.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          APRICOT-JALAPENO JELLY

Recipe By     : 
Serving Size  : 6    Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Spread/Dips                      
                Spicy/Hot                        

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
     1/2  Cup           Jalapeno peppers -- stems &
                        seeds removed
   1      lg            Red bell pepper -- stem &
                        seeds removed
   2      Cups          Cider vinegar
   1                    And 1/2 cups dried apricots
                        chopped
   6      Cups          Sugar
   3      Ounces        Liquid pectin
   4      Drops         red food color

Put jalapenos, bell pepper, & vinegar in blender.  Puree 'until coarsely
ground and small chunks remain.  Combine apricots, sugar, &
jalapeno/pepper/vinegar mixture in large  saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil
rapidly, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; skim  off any foam that forms.  Allow
mixture to cool for 2 minutes.  Then mix in pectin (and food  coloring if
you're going to use it).  Pour into sterilized jars, seal, and cool.  (I
processed in a boiling  water bath for 10 minutes.)  Yield:  3 pints (I got
7 half pint containers.)  From "Chile Pepper:  The Magazine of Spicy Foods"
 May/June 1990.  Vol.  IV, No. 3, pp. 30-31.  In "Fiery Fruits" article by
Nancy Gerlach.  Gerlach also wrote:  "This recipe calls for apricots but
peaches,  nectarines, and pears work equally well.  Any fresh green chile
can also  be substituted, depending on your heat preference.  Serranos will
make it  hotter; roasted, peeled New Mexican chiles will tame it down."

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                      Chiles Jalapenos En Escabeche

Recipe By     : L.A. Times
Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Condiments                       Vegetables
                Mexican

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1      Pound         Jalapeno Peppers
                        Salt
                        Water
   3      Cups          Vinegar
   2                    Whole         Cloves
     1/4  Tsp           Oregano
   1      Small         Cinnamon Stick -- piece
     1/4  Tsp           Ginger
     1/2  Cup           Oil
   1      Medium        Onion
   8      Ounces        Carrots -- sliced
   1      Head          Garlic -- Cloves Separated
                        And Peeled
   4                    Bay Leaves

Wash chiles and cut stems so they are no longer than 1/4 inch.  Cut a slit
in each chile and place in bring made by dissolving 2 tbs salt in 3 cups
water.  Let chiles stand in brine for 4 or 5 days and change brine two or
three times a day.  On final day, drain chiles and rinse.
Combine vinegar, cloves, oregano, thyme, cinnamon stick and vinegar and
boil until even in color, about 10 minutes.
Heat oil, add onions, carrots, garlic cloves and bay leaves and cook until
onion and carrots are tender.  In a hot, sterilized 1-quart jar, make
layers of onion mixture and chiles until jar is filled, starting and
ending with onion mixture. Add boiling vinegar to cover and seal.  Let
stand in a cool place at least 2 weeks before using to let flavors blend.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Fiery Jalapeno Pesto

Recipe By     : Herb Companion Magazine
Serving Size  : 8    Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Sauces

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1      Cup           Jalapeno Peppers -- stems removed
   2      Large         Clove   Garlic -- peeled and cut into
                        -- four pieces.
   1      Cup           Basil Leaves -- packed
   1      Cup           Cilantro Leaves -- packed
   1      Tsp           Cumin Seed -- freshly ground
     1/2  Cup           Extra Virgin Olive Oil
     1/2  Cup           Parmesan Cheese -- freshly grated
     1/2  Cup           Walnuts -- or pine nuts
     1/2  Tsp           Salt -- if needed
   1      Tb            White Wine Vinegar

Combine jalapenos, herbs, ground cumin seed, and olive oil in food
processor or blender container.  Process until smooth.  Add remaining
ingredients, pulsing several times to mix completely.  Taste for
seasoning; adjust salt and vinegar as needed.  Refrigerate up to 2 weeks,
freeze for long-term storage.  Reblend if liquids appear when thawed after
freezing.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

NOTES : Use this pesto for seasoning vegetables, meats, sauces, or pasta,
or as a base for salad dressing or marinade.  You can use small
amounts directly from freezer.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Jalapeno Salsa  (Cooked)

Recipe By     : 
Serving Size  : 2    Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Mexican                          Salsa
                Sauces

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1      Tbsp          Olive oil
     3/4  C             Jalapenos -- chopped
   2      Cloves        garlic -- minced
     1/4  C             Onion -- chopped
   3      C             Seeded,peeled -- chopped>>>
                        Tomatoes.
   1      Tbsp          Red wine vinegar
   1      Tbsp          Fresh cilantro -- chopped
   1      tbsp          Green olives -- chopped
                        Salt

In med. sized skillet, heat the oil.  Add the jalapenos, garlic and onion.
Saute until the onion is soft, but not browned, 3-5 min.  Add the tomatoes
and cook until the tomatoes are quite soft, about 5 min.  Add the remaining
ingredients and cook for a few minutes more to give the flavors a chance to
"marry".  Add salt to taste if needed.  Let the salsa stand for at least 30
min.  Stir well before serving.
 
Yield:  Approx. 2 cups  This salsa is moderately hot--use half bell pepper
and half jalapeno to "cool" it down if you like.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Oseland's Country Gourmet - http://www.countrygourmet.com
mailto:[email-masked]
To respond, remove antispam Z from return address or click on "mailto" above.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.