Subject: Japanese Sweet Rice Dumplings
From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Oct 1999 06:44:46 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Sweet Rice Dumplings    

Yield: 9 servings 
 
3 cup  Water  
1 1/2 cup  Sweet brown rice, uncooked
1 pinch Sea salt    
3/4 cup  Raisins    
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
2 1/2 cup  Shelled walnuts   

(The Japanese call these rice dumplings obagies) 
 
Bring water to boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add rice and salt, cover and reduce 
heat to medium. Cook for one hour. (Check to see if more water must be added to 
prevent sticking.) Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.    Preheat oven 
to 350 degrees F.   Mix half the raisins and half the cinnamon into half of the 
rice and process mixture thoroughly through a grain mill.  (If you do not have a
grain mill, use a Champion Juicer with a grinder attachment or pound mixture 
into a paste in a wooden bowl.)  Repeat with remaining rice, raisins and 
cinnamon.   Place walnuts on a baking sheet and roast in oven and let cool.  
Coarsely grind or finely chop walnuts.   Measure rice into 2 1/2 tablespoon 
portions.  Moisten hands and shape dumplings.    Roll each dumpling in walnuts 
to coat. Serve immediately.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.