Subject: Italian Beef
From: [email-masked] (Bigscreen)
Date: 8 Jan 1997 04:57:59 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I'm not Italian but this recipe has been in our family for many years.
Perhaps it will come close to the deli taste you crave!

Italian Beef

3 to 4 pound rump roast (rolled roast to you youngsters!)
salt
grated Romano cheese
fresh garlic cloves
oil
oregano

Make several slits in the roast (at least 4) that go quite deep but not
all the way through the meat.  Fill each slit with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp.
grated Romano cheese and 1 clove fresh garlic.

Put a small amount of oil in a roasting pan, place the roast in this and
brown the meat at 400 degrees.  When brown sprinkle generously with
oregano, cover the entire pan with foil and reduce the over temperature to
250 degrees.  Cook for 2 to 3 hours until tender.  The roast usually makes
its own juice but add water if it doesn't.  Remove garlic (or don't
depending on your taste!) slice thinly and serve on buns with mustards,
horseradish, etc.

This can be frozen and reheated gently in the oven.  Bon Appetit!

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.