Subject: Italian Bean Patties, Tomato-Basil Relish
From: [email-masked] (Fattart)
Date: 19 Aug 1996 07:04:57 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

ITALIAN BEAN PATTIES WITH TOMATO-BASIL RELISH

Makes 6 main dish servings.

2 cans (15 ounces each) Great Northern or navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup finely chopped plum tomato
2 green onions and tops, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
Olive oil cooking spray
6 slices Italian bread or 6 buns
1 large clove garlic, halved
Tomato-Basil Relish (recipe follows)
Basil sprigs

Coarsely mash beans with potato masher, or process in food processor,
using pulse technique.  In a bowl, mix in tomato, green onions, minced
garlic, thyme, sage, cumin and black and cayenne pepper.  Mix in enough
cornmeal to make a firm, but not dry mixture; season to taste with salt. 
Refrigerate mixture 1 to 2 hours for flavors to blend.

Form bean mixture into patties.  Spray large skillet with cooking spray;
heat over medium heat until hot.  Cook patties until browned, about 5
minutes on each side.

Broil bread 6 inches from heat source until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on
each side; rub both sides of bread with cut clove of garlic.  Spoon
Tomato-Basil Relish on bread or on patties (depending on size of bread);
top with bean patties and garnish with basil.

TOMATO-BASIL RELISH
 
Makes about l 1/2 cups.

1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt
Pepper

Combine tomatoes, basil, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce; season to
taste with salt and pepper.  Refrigerate until serving time.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:  Calories 307, Carbohydrate 59 g,
Protein 15 g, Fat 2 g, % of Calories from Fat 7, Sodium 731 mg and
Cholesterol 0 mg.
 
These recipes are provided courtesy of the Bean Education Awareness
Network (BEAN), an information service of the American Dry Bean Board. 
Please send remarks to [email-masked] For more informaition and 
bean recipes, check out our web site (http://www.prairieweb.com/adbb) 
or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

BEAN
115 Railway Plaza
Dept. Net
Scotsbluff NE 69361

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.