Subject: Spiced Potatoes
From: [email-masked] (Venkatesh Sreekantan)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:18:25 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Masala potatoes (also called iruli alugadde palya) :

1. 6-8 medium sized potatoes
2. 2 Large onions (preferably red)
3. Cumin seeds (1 teaspoon)
4. Mustard seeds (1/2 teaspoon)
5. 3 tablespoons oil (corn oil is fine)
6. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
7. 4-5 Thai chilli peppers.
8. Cilantro
9. Salt to taste

Boil the potatoes until soft, and then peel them. Keep them aside.

Chop onions, thai peppers, into fine pieces and saute in skillet 
with cumin and mustard seeds till onions turn slightly brown. Add
turmeric to this mixture and mix well till everything turns yellow.

Squish potatoes with your hands - (it's quite enjoyable !) until it
has the consistency of mashed potatos minus the water. Mix this into
the sauted onions - you will need to keep turning the mixture over 
until everything has the same color - do this while cooking on a low
flame - don't let the potato burn. Add the salt at this stage, or 
earlier when sauteing the onions.

Chop cilantro and garnish.

Awesome as a side to a rice dish, or just plain with whole wheat tortillas
and butter . I have found it goes especially well with some picante. 

	--Pax--

--
rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup; only recipes are accepted for 
posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" file first.  Articles go to 
[email-masked]; administrative questions to [email-masked].  
Please allow two to five days for your submission to appear.