Subject: Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 2000 02:13:47 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]
from Australia

Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage

1 large head of green cabbage (tough outer leaves removed but not discarded)
1 3/4 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 glass warm water
2/3 cup rice
1 onion, grated
salt, pepper and garlic to taste
1 small can sauerkraut, drained
2 cans Campbell's tomato soup
2 lemons, squeezed
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda or bicarb (stops the burping before it starts!)

Core the cabbage and place upside-down in a large pot of boiling water.  
Carefully remove a few leaves at a time as they become pliable.  (Using heavy 
rubber gloves makes the job easier.)  In the meantime, mix the meat, rice, 
grated onion, water, garlic, salt and pepper; form into balls slightly larger 
than an egg.  Wrap each ball in a leaf of cabbage, removing the tough part of 
the leaf and tucking the ends in neatly. Place one can of tomato soup, the 
drained sauerkraut and the remaining cabbage leaves in the bottom of the pot.  
Neatly put in the stuffed cabbage leaves.  On top, add the other can of tomato 
soup, the lemon juice, sugar and baking soda.  Bring to boil and simmer slowly 
for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  Skim fat if needed.  Even better the next day!

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ  posted each week  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.