Subject: Hungarian Gulyas
From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Aug 1996 05:37:53 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Deliciously Healthy Jewish Cooking
Harriet Roth

Hungarian Gulyas
Yield: Serve 8 to 10 As An  Entree

Paprika is the Hungarian national spice. It is an essential ingredient in
preparation of paprikas and gulyas, a soup like dish that contains beef or
veal, onion,paprika, and cubed potatoes. For a superior flavor, use beef,
chicken, or vegetable broth instead of water.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped fine (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
2-1/4 pounds boneless beef or veal (from shin or neck), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, and minced
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2-1/2 quarts warm defatted sodium-reduced broth or water (see note below)
1 green or yellow Hungarian long pepper or Italian frying pepper, seeded and
cut into rings

1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch dice
1-1/2 pounds new potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes

Heat the oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven. Add the onions, stir, and saute
until golden yellow. Add the paprika and stir. Add the meat, stir, and
saute about 10 minutes. While the meat is browning, mix the garlic with
the caraway seeds, salt, and pepper. Add the garlic mixture to the meat,
stirring rapidly with a wooden spoon.  Add the warm broth, bring to a
boil, and reduce the heat. Simmer covered for about 45 minutes or until
the meat is barely tender.  Add the pepper and tomato and simmer 15
minutes.  Add the potatoes and simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes or
until tender. Taste and adjust seasonings. If you feel additional broth is
needed for a soupy consistency, add some now and cook an additional few
minutes. 

To Serve:  This one-dish meal should be served in warm soup bowls. 

Note:  Cold liquid toughens meat when added while cooking.

Variation: After the potatoes have cooked for about 15 minutes, add 1 pound
savory cabbage cut into 1-inch cubes; cook until the potatoes are tender.
Taste and adjust seasonings.

Per Serving:  11gm total fat;  3.36gm sat. fat;  378 calories; 102 mg chol;
26.3% fat; 240 mg sod.;  99 calories from fat

***
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for submission to appear.

The Posting Guidelines are now available on line:
http://www.duke.edu/~tdpress/rfrpost.html