Subject: Collection (4) Hawaiian Recipes
From: "Strawberry Girl" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 1999 15:26:33 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

FISH IN COCONUT MILK
LOMI LOMI SALMON
SPINACH & SQUID
CHICKEN WITH LONG RICE

Once agian, Jeff Smith comes to the rescue. From his "The Frugal Gourmet On Our 
Immigrant Ancestors"

FISH IN COCONUT MILK

1 lb whitefish, very fresh, skinless and boneless, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (cod,
snapper or halibut is suggested... keep in mind that it must be fresh!)
1 tsp kosher salt
Juice of 2 limes
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
3 scallions, chopped
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup peeled and chopped white onion
Garnish: Toasted sesame seed

Place the fish in a stainless-steel or glass bowl. Mix salt and lime juice and 
toss with the fish. Allow to marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator. Remove 
and drain the fish. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well. Chill again 
before serving. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Serves 8 as appetizer course

LOMI LOMI SALMON

1 1/2 lbs moist smoked salmon or salted salmon or lox, skinned, boned, and 
sliced
3 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
6 scallions, chopped
2 cups peeled and chopped white onions
1 cup crushed ice

Mix all the ingredients together and serve cold.
Serves 10 as a light salad course

SPINACH AND SQUID

Traditionally this dish is made of cooked ti leaves and octopus. This quickie 
method is delicious and saves you at least a day in preparation!

2 10-ounce boxes frozen whole spinach
1 10-3/4 ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 lbs squid, cleaned and cut in rings
pinch of ground white pepper
salt to taste

Defrost the spinach and drain. Chop it up just a bit and heat in a large 
saucepan along with the soup. When all is simmering, add the squid and simmer 
gently until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper and salt to taste.
This is simply eaten with a spoon or your fingers.

Serves 8

CHICKEN WITH LONG RICE

1 1/2 lbs chicken hindquarters (thighs and legs)
2 slices ginger, each the size of a 25-cent piece
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
12 ounces Chinese mung bean noodles or sai fun noodles (Any Chinese store has 
these)
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp salt
ground white pepper to taste
1/2 cup mushrooms (canned straw mushrooms would be great)

Garnish: 5 scallions, sliced

Place the chicken quarters in a heavy 4-quart lidded pot and add the ginger and 
1 Tbsp salt. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 45
minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and allow the chicken to cook in the 
broth. When cool, remove the chicken from the broth, reserving the broth. Debone
the chicken and discard the bones and skin. Dice the meat. Discard the ginger 
slices in the broth. Set both the chicken and the broth aside. Heat the pot 
again and add the oil and the garlic. Saute for just a moment and then add the 
noodles. Add just enough of the reserved broth to cover. Add the remaining 1 tsp
salt and all the remaining ingredients, including the chicken and bring to a 
simmer. Cook until all is tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook the noodles 
or they will become soft.
Garnish with the scallions and serve.

Serves 8-10 as a noodle course

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.