Subject: Gyuniku No Negimaki
From: Rachel Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 May 2000 11:58:47 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

> Requests from Tuesday:
>> Japanese Nagayaki/Negayaki

 Gyuniku No Negimaki: Scallion-Stuffed Beef Rolls

1/4 lb beef: london broil, top round, or similar cut
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp mirin
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger root
3 scallions, trimmed (use both white & green)
flour
vegetable oil
1/2 lemon

Cut the beef into pieces about 5x3x1/8 inch thick (easier while partially
frozen). Marinate beef slices mixture of soy, mirin, ginger about 30 minutes.
Cut the scallions into pieces as long as the beef is wide. Divide so that each
roll will contain some white and some green.
Remove beef from marinade, place scallions on each slice and roll up. Dab some
flour on the end of each beef strip to hold the rolls together. Coat the rolls
with flour, shaking to remove the excess.
Heat 2-3 inches oil in a tempura pan or saucepan to about 340 F (or until
bubbles form on wooden chopsticks stirred in the oil). Fry the rolls, a few at a
time, for about 2 minutes, turning once or twice. Drain on the rack of the
tempura pan or on paper towels.  Garnish with lemon wedges and squeeze the lemon
over the beef rolls.  Serve hot and as freshly cooked as possible.
Serves 4

Variation: saute instead of deep-fry: don't coat the rolls with flour, heat 2
Tbsp oil in a skillet and saute over a fairly brisk heat, turning to brown all
over,  about 3-4 minutes.  The flavor is surprisingly different.

Recipe from The complete book of Japanese cooking, Ortiz and Endo, M Evans and 
co.
1976

Personal note:  I've never tried this recipe (one of the reasons I like to live
in New York is that it's easier to go to a restaurant and have them make it!),
although other recipes from this book are exactly right.  I suspect the dish
most restaurants serve is the sauteed version, and the sauce with it a reduced
form of the marinade, possibly sweetened, possibly thickened with flour,
cornstarch, or arrowroot powder.  If you can't find mirin (which is a rice
wine), try Kikkoman teriyaki sauce (instead of the soy-mirin-ginger mix).

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.