Subject: Rose's German Potato Salad
From: "Rumrill, Donald M" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 May 2000 16:44:31 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

My Grandmother Rose was originally from the Schwaben area in Germany
and came to the States in 1909. When she cooked for the family up at our
camp (the summer cabin for those non-Adirondacker's!), she always made cold
German potato salad.  There was no recipe, just eyeball and taste.  I've
come close, but never seem to get it exactly right. 

Rose's  German Potato Salad

2 lbs. waxy potatoes, boiled in their jackets and cooled
1/2 med yellow onion, sliced in fine wedges and separated
2 stalks of celery with leaves, diced small
2-3 Tbsp salad oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Carefully peel potatoes after they have cooled and slice into 3/16"
(3-4 mm) slices.  Add the oil, onion, celery and water and carefully stir
mixture.  Sprinkle vinegar over salad and add salt and pepper.  Be somewhat
generous with the salt and pepper, carefully mix in and taste for vinegar
and seasoning; adjust if necessary.  Let set for about 1 hour before eating.

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.