Subject: German Farmhouse-Style Bratwurst
From: "Andy Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Dec 1998 04:54:43 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Title: German Farmhouse-Style Bratwurst

      1 cup  Fresh white bread crumbs
    1/2 cup  Milk
  2 1/2 lb Lean veal, preferably
           Shoulder, chilled
  2 1/2 lb Pork belly or fatty pork
           Butt, chilled
      1    Tbsp plus 2 tsp salt
      1 tsp Freshly ground white pepper
  1 1/2 tsp Freshly ground nutmeg
      8    Yards prepared casings,
           About 4 oz.
      2    Tbsp melted salted butter

  In a small bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk. Grind the veal and
pork belly together, first coarsely and then finely. Place the meat in a
large  bowl. Add the salt, nutmeg, white pepper and softened bread crumbs.
Mix  well with your hands until thoroughly blended. Working with about
one-quarter of sausage filling at a time (cover the rest and refrigerate
the remainder).  Stuff the casings loosely with the sausage filling. Pinch
and twist into 4 inch links. Refrigerate the first ones while doing the
rest.

  To cook, prick the sausages all over to prevent the skins from bursting.
Place as many sausages in a skillet as will fit in a single layer without
crowding.  Pour in about one-half inch of water, cover and simmer over low
heat for 20 minutes.  Pour off any liquid.  Add butter to the pan and cook
uncovered, turning, until the sausages are evenly browned. about 10
minutes. (This sausage not suitable for frying as patties.)

Sausage Making Ingredients or Equipment available On-Line at
http://members.tripod.com/~andy_hall/mall/spice.html

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.