Subject: Gefullt Krautroladen (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
From: Ben <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 May 2000 17:14:31 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Gefullt Krautroladen (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)

1 1/2 cup Brown Rice
3 cups Water
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Dillseed
1/2 teaspoon Marjoram
3/4 teaspoons Pepper
2 1/2 cups Onion; Chopped
5 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
2 each Garlic; Cloves, Minced
2 each Eggs; Large, Slightly Beaten
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup Parsley; Fresh, Minced
2 1/2 pounds Cabbage
1 per serving Cheesecloth; About 6 ft.
2 1/2 cups Tomatoes; Canned, Chopped
1/2 cup Vermouth; Dry
1/2 cup Beef Broth
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
1/2 teaspoon Sugar

In a medium bowl cover brown rice with hot water and soak for 3 hours. Drain.  
In a 2-quart saucepan combine rice, 3 cups water, and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Simmer 
covered for 40 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Add the dillseed, 
marjoram, and 1/2 tsp pepper.  In a large skillet saute 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
in 3 Tbsp hot vegetable oil until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add paprika and 
garlic, continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the rice mixture, 
eggs, bread crumbs, and parsley. Adjust seasonings to taste.  Core cabbage and, 
in a large pot, blanch the cabbage cored-side-down in boiling salted water for 5
minutes or until it is softened.  Drain.  Remove 12 leaves and cut off one 
fourth of each leaf from the base.  Arrange 1 leaf curved-side down on a square 
of dampened cheesecloth and place 3 Tbsp of rice mixture in the center.  Wrap 
the leaf around the filling and twist the corners of the cheesecloth to form the
leaf into a roll. Continue making rolls with remaining filling.  Chop remaining 
cabbage to make 3 cups and, in a large frypan, saute with 1 cup chopped onions 
and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil until soft.  Add tomatoes, vermouth, broth, tomato 
paste, sugar, 1/2 tsp p salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Simmer the mixture for 5 
minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings. Transfer cabbage-tomato sauce
mixture to a large baking dish. Arrange the cabbage rolls close together in one 
layer on the sauce. Spoon some of the mixture over the rolls.  Bake at 325 
degrees F for 1 1/2 hours.  Baste rolls 4 to 5 times during cooking.  Let the 
dish cool.  Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove cheesecloth.  Heat in 
preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes before serving.

http://www.recipeway.com/

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.