Subject: Garlic Pork from Guyana
From: "Amanda" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Nov 1999 12:14:46 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

> From: "Nakita" <[email-masked]>
> I'm looking for recipes of traditional Christmas entrees from around the
> world. Any help would be very much appreciated.

GARLIC PORK
from Guyana

You don't have to ask your friends if they've had this traditional
holiday dish on Christmas morning. If they have, the half pound of
garlic included in the ingredients ensures that you will know when
they drop in to bring you your Christmas gifts. Just in case you miss
the aroma of garlic pork on Christmas morning, what's left is eaten
on New Year's Day.

3 to 4 pounds pork loin, cut into i-inch pieces
3 cups white vinegar
1/2 pound garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
4 stalks fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
6 to 8 wiri wiri-type chiles or 2 scotch bonnet-type chiles
2 cups cold water
2 teaspoons salt
6 cloves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Serves 6 to 8. In a large bowl, wash the pork pieces with 1 cup of the
vinegar. Lift them from the bowl with 2 large forks; do not use your
hands. Place the pork in a large jar or bottle.
Place the peeled garlic, thyme, and chiles in a mortar and pound to
a paste. Then add the cold water and the remaining 2 cups of
vinegar to the garlic mixture. Add the salt and cloves and pour the
garlic and vinegar mixture over the pork, making sure that the pork
is completely covered. Tightly cover the jar and allow the pork to
marinate in a cool place for 3 to 4 days or longer.
To cook, place the pork in a heavy skillet and cook until the liquid
evaporates. Then add the vegetable oil and fry the pork until it is
brown. Serve hot over white rice.

Jessica B. Harris "Sky Juice and Flying Fish"  Simon & Schuster

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.