Subject: Garlic Eggplant
From: Ben <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 May 2000 17:20:34 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Garlic Eggplant

1 medium Onion - coarsely chopped
8 ounces Mushrooms - quartered
6  Japanese eggplants - cut in  Cubes (or one large regular eggplant, the 
Japanese are sweeter in my  Opinion  If you use regular eggplant, you may want 
to  salt and drain for a couple of  hours )
3/4  HEAD of garlic - crushed or Chopped fine
1 cup Water
1 tablespoon Dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh  Chopped
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a large heavy bottomed pan (or Dutch oven), saute (in water or vegetable 
stock) onions over medium heat until soft and sweet. Add mushrooms, eggplant, 
garlic and water. Keep on med - high heat stirring occasionally until the water 
is boiling (about 2 min). Turn down heat to a simmer and cover about 1/2 hour or
until eggplant is done and very soft (regular eggplant may take a bit longer). 
Add basil, salt and pepper to taste. Reheat when ready to serve. If you *want* 
to add tomatoes, 6-8 plum tomatoes would be good.  

Annice Grinberg  [email-masked]

http://www.recipeway.com/

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.