Subject: Delightful Fava Bean Risotto
From: "DJ Foodie" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 1999 06:06:26 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Green Risotto with Fava Beans

1/2 pound fava beans
1 small onion, finely diced
3 to 4 cups chicken stock, or low to sodium free canned broth (or vegetable
stock, for vegetarians)
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup Arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.  Shell the favas and discard the
pods.  Add the favas to the water and cook for about 1 minute, strain and
immediately plunge into ice water.  Let cool for about 2 minutes.  Pierce
the skin and squeeze the fava out of its skin.
Cook 3/4 of the favas in a very small amount of water, olive oil, salt and
pepper.  Cook for about 15 minutes, don't cook too long or you will lose the
brilliant green.  If necessary add a little more water to keep from browning
or sticking.  Puree the cooked favas in a food processor.
Bring the stock to a simmer, and keep it hot.
In a separate pot, add half the butter and the onion.  Cook for about 5
minutes over low heat.  Do not let the onions color.  Add the rice and cook,
while stirring for another minute or 2.  Add the wine, turn the heat up and
stir constantly.  Once the wine has been absorbed, add a little hot stock.
Once that is absorbed, add a little more stock.  Repeat this process,
stirring constantly, until the rice is cooked through.  Add the puree, the
rest of the butter, the rest of the favas and the cheese.  Stir in over the
heat, till the butter and the cheese melt and the favas are incorporated
evenly.  Season with salt.

Notes:  This dish is very simple and very good.  It would be delicious
served with sauteed peas, asparagus, grilled onions, blanched baby carrots,
artichoke hearts, or any combination of these vegetables.

Serves: 4

DJ Foodie
Host, The MasterCook Show, LIVE (Noon to 2 PM, Pacific Time, 8 to 10 PM GMT)
http://www.talkspot.com/lifexpo_nn.html

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.