Subject: Fatayer Bi Sabanekh (Lebanese)
From: [email-masked] (LeiG)
Date: 27 May 1997 07:49:14 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>From: Maria Barton <[email-masked]>
>Subject: "Fatayer"- middle eastern spinach pie

SPINACH PIES(Fatayer Bi Sabanekh)

Some consider the pine nuts in this recipe optional, but as an addition
they are visual and flavorful delight.
Makes 12-15 pies, freezes well.

1/2 recipe basic savory pie dough (recipe follows)
2 pounds fresh spinach or 3 ,10 oz packages frozen spinach
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts browned in 3 Tablespoons butter and drained (optional)
lemon wedges

Divide pie dough into 12-15 balls and roll into 4 inch circles about
1/8-1/4 inch thick. Wash, Drain and chop fresh spinach or cook frozen
spinach, drain and chop. Lightly squeeze out moisture and place in large
bowl. Add onion, salt and optional pepper to spinach. Mix well and let
stand a few minutes. Stir in lemon juice and oil. Add browned pine nuts if
desired. It should taste like a good salad.
Place a small amount of spinach mixture in center of each round of
dough. Form a triangular pie by drawing two sides of dough to the center
and pinching shut a seam from center to the corner. Then draw up the
remaining flap of dough and pinch shut the remaining seams, leaving a
small opening to vent the pie in the center. Or make vertical pleats of
dough around the filling to form a round open tart. (The former method is
more traditional). Brush with olive oil.
Bake at 375 - 400 degs F for 15 minutes , until brown on top and
bottom. Serve warm or cool with lemon wedges.

BASIC SAVORY PIE DOUGH (aajeen)

5 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 cups lukewarm water or milk
1/4 cup olive oil
(makes 25 four inch or 40 three inch pies)

Combine flour and salt in large bowl. In another bowl, dissolve yeast and
sugar in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir yeast mixture
into remaining water, or milk and add to flour mixture. Mix well with
wooden spoon and turn onto floured board. Knead well for 8-10 minutes,
until dough is very elastic and smooth. Place in greased bowl and cover
with dry towel. Set dough in warm spot until it has doubled. Punch down
and form into a ball. Let dough rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 25 or
40 pieces. Coat hands with oil and form each piece into a ball. Cover
dough with dry towel and let rise 30 minutes. Roll balls into circles 1/4
inch thick for fatayer or fill and form into meat or spinach pies.

Source: Lebanese Mountain cooking

[email-masked](Lei Gui)
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/3658
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.