Subject: COLLECTION (3) Ethiopian
From: "Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 1997 05:42:58 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

From: "Jyoti X Ananthanarayanan;951;temp6;" <[email-masked]>
Had just been to an etiopian restaurant for the first time, was wondering
if someone could send in VEGETARIAN RECIPES"  for this kind
of food, it would be great. 

Here are a few recipes you might like. I don't know about the directions
for the injera (sitting at room temperature) I send 'em as I get 'em. I might be
inclined to let it set overnight - a personal opinion. As for the lentil
recipe you can use green/brown lentils if you can't find red (usually in
Indian/middle eastern markets) but you may have to cook them longer. There
are also a lot of African recipes (and more) at this web site:
http://soar.berkeley.edu/recipes/   

Enjoy - Kim

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

      Title: Injera (Ethiopian Flat Bread)
 Categories: Vegetarian, Ethiopian
      Yield: 1 Servings

  1 3/4 c  Flour
    1/2 c  Self-rising flour
    1/4 c  Whole wheat Flour
      1 pk Dry yeast
  2 1/2 c  Water; warm
    1/2 ts Baking soda
    1/2 ts Salt

Combine the flours and yeast in a ceramic or glass bowl.  Add the warm
water and mix into a fairly thin, smooth batter. Let the mixture sit for
three full days at room temperature. Stir the mixture once a day.  It will
bubble and rise. When you are ready to make the injera, add the baking
soda and salt and let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes. Heat a small,
nonstick 9-inch skillet. When a drop of water bounces on the pan's
surface, take about 1/3 cup of the batter and pour it in the skillet
quickly, all at once.  Swirl the pan so that the entire bottom is evenly
coated, then return to heat. The injera is cooked only on one side and the
bottom should not brown. When the moisture has evaporated and lots of
"eyes" appear on the surface, remove the injera. Let each injera cool and
then stack them as you go along. If the first injera is undercooked, try
using less of the mixture, perhaps 1/4 cup, and maybe cook it a bit
longer. Be sure not to overcook it. Injera should be soft and pliable so
that it can be rolled or folded, like a crepe. 

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
 
      Title: African Vegetable Stew
 Categories: Soups, Main dish, Vegetables
      Yield: 4 Servings
 
      1    Onion (very large),
           -chopped
      1    Swiss chard bunch
      1 cn Garbanzo beans
           -(known also as chick
           -peas, ceci, etc.)
    1/2 c  Raisins
    1/2 c  Rice, raw
      2    Yams
           Several fresh tomatoes
           -(or large can)
      1    Garlic clove
           -(or more to taste)
           Salt and pepper,
           -to taste
           Tabasco sauce,
           -to taste
 
Fry onion, garlic and white stems of chard until barely limp.  Add chopped
greens and fry a bit. Either peel the yams or scrub them well with a
vegetable brush, then slice them into thick slices.  Add garbanzos,
raisins, yams, tomatoes, salt and pepper.  Cook a couple of minutes. Make
a well in the center of the mixture in the pot.  Put the rice in the well
and pat it down until it's wet. Cover and cook until rice is done, about
25 minutes. Add Tabasco sauce to taste. 
  
NOTES:
  
A spicy vegetable stew -- I got this recipe from my mom, who got it from a
friend. It's very easy to make. I find that the flavors of the vegetables
don't stand out unless you put in a lot of Tabasco. But then, I've got a
cast-iron tongue. You should add enough to make the stew seem spicy to you. 
    
  Jeff Lichtman
 
MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
 
      Title: Amhari Mesir Wat - Ethiopian Lentil Bowl
 Categories: Vegetarian, Beans, Side dishes
      Yield: 8 Servings
 
    1/2 c  Red lentils
      2 lg Onions
    1/2 c  Oil
      3 tb Tomato paste
    1/2 ts Paprika; sweet or hot
      1    Garlic
    1/2 ts Ground ginger
    1/4 ts Black pepper
      1 ts Salt
      3 c  Water
 
Recipe by: Gad S. Sheaffer ([email-masked]) This recipe is common
to the Ethiopian Jews (Phalashi). My understanding is that these are
NOT unique to them.
  
Sort the lentils and soak in tap water for 30 minutes. Rinse in running
water and drain. Peel and finely chop the onions. peel and mash the
garlic.Heat the oil in large pan and saute the onion until golden. Add
tomato paste and paprika and mix. Add half the water and the garlic,ginger
pepper and salt. Stir well and then add the rest of the water, stir again,
cover and bring to boil. When the water boil, add the lentils ,lower the
flame and cook 20-30 minutes, until the lentils soften. Serve hot. 
 
MMMMM
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.