Subject: Power Bars
From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 May 2000 12:48:50 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Power Bars

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Appetizers/ Snacks              Breakfast Squares and Bars
                Cherry Marketing Institute

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
     3/4           cup  butter or margarine
  2               cups  firmly packed brown sugar
  2               cups  all-purpose flour
  2               cups  old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats -- uncooked
  2          teaspoons  baking soda
  1       21-ounce can  cherry filling and topping
  2        tablespoons  granulated sugar
  1         tablespoon  cornstarch
     1/2      teaspoon  almond extract

Put butter and brown sugar in a large mixing well. Beat with an electric 
mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes or until well mixed. Combine flour, oats 
and  baking soda. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; mix on low speed until 
crumbly. Spread two-thirds of the oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 
13 W 9 W 2-inch baking pan. Press down to make a firm layer.
Purie cherry filling with an electric blender or food processor until smooth. 
Pour puried cherry filling into a medium saucepan. Combine granulated sugar 
and cornstarch; stir into cherry filling. Cook, stirring constantly, over low 
heat until mixture is thick and bubbly. Stir in almond extract. Pour cherry 
mixture over oat layer; spread evenly. Top with remaining oat mixture.
Bake in a preheated 350: oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Let 
cool before cutting into bars.
Posted by: Cassie

Description:   A great pick-me-up any time of day. 
Source:   Cherry Marketing Institute    http://www.cherrymkt.org/index.html 
Yield:   32 bars 

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.