Subject: Egyptian Eggplant Eggah
From: Mary Fillmore <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jul 1999 11:22:41 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Egyptian Eggplant Eggah

After I have grilled, I like to take advantage of the remaining time on the 
barbeque coals to pre-roast eggplant for another dinner.  Long, slow roasting 
over a charcoal fire is a delicious way to prepare eggplant. It not only 
tenderizes the flesh, but also reduces the water content,  and adds a delicious 
smoky flavor. Eggplant roasted this way can be kept in the refrigerator for up 
to three days for use in many recipes.  

A kind of crustless quiche, Egyptian Eggah highlights the subtle flavor of 
roasted eggplant. I accompany it with a tomato salsa and a green salad.  
 
Eggah 
8 servings 

2 lb (2 medium) eggplants 
3 medium onions 
3 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves or 1 tsp ground coriander seeds 
1 clove garlic, minced 
3/4 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 
I/2 tsp ground black pepper 
8 eggs 
1/4 tsp salt  

Pierce eggplants and onions with a knife. Roast over  hot coals. Turn 
periodically until all sides have charred (about 30 minutes). Remove from heat 
and let cool. Scrape flesh from the eggplant and skin the onions and cut into 1 
inch pieces  Stir in coriander, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and pepper. Preheat oven
to 325'F. Whisk together eggs, 11/2 cups water and salt. Stir into vegetable 
mixture. Arrange zucchini slices over the top. Bake, uncovered, only until 
mixture begins to puff up (about 40 minutes). Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Leftovers best served cold. 

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted each week.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.