Subject: Eggplant and Ziti Parmesan,
From: [email-masked] (Ashbury)
Date: 28 Sep 1999 07:04:31 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Request: I am looking for a good meatless baked ziti recipe, anyone have one?

Eggplant and Ziti Parmesan

1 3/4 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into <-inch slices crosswise
salt 
8 ounces ziti
1 tablespoon oil
1 or more large cloves garlic, crushed 
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1-1/3 cup part-skim ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup grated parmesan, divided
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley OR 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
2 cups tomato sauce (or more)

Sprinkle the eggplant with salt. Place the eggplant in a colander, and
let it drain for 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant, and pat it dry. 
Cook the ziti al dente according to the package directions. Drain and
rinse the pasta, and set it aside. 
Combine the oil and garlic, and smear it on the eggplant slices. Then
sprinkle the slices generously with pepper. Broil the eggplant slices
about 4 inches from the heat, turning them once, for a total of about
5 minutes. (You may have to do this in 2 batches.) 
In a large bowl, combine the ricotta or cottage cheese, all but 2
tablespoons of the parmesan, the parsley, basil, oregano, and pepper
flakes. Toss the cheese mixture with the ziti. On the bottom of a 2-=
to 3 quart casserole, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce, add half
the ziti mixture, then half the eggplant slices, then half the
remaining tomato sauce. Repeat the ziti, eggplant, and sauce layers.
Top with the reserved 2 tablespoons of parmesan. Cover the casserole,
and bake it in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove the
cover, and bake the casserole for another 15 minutes or until the top
is lightly browned.

Serves 4 

 --
Ashbury (I do this because I hate spam) @ engineer . com
1001 Things to do with Eggplant
http://home.att.net/~ashburysaubergines/index.html

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.