Subject: Eggplant And Mushroom Strogonoff
From: Ben <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 May 2000 16:58:27 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Eggplant And Mushroom Strogonoff 

1 medium Eggplant
1 1/2 pound Mushrooms, cut into thick slices (1/3-1/2 in.)
  (I used button and crimini;   Didn't care for the shiitake   Though)
2/3 cups Homemade soup mix (recipe   Below) plus 2 cup water OR
2 cans Lowfat Cream of Mushroom   Soup
4  Cloves crushed garlic (or to   Taste)
1 tablespoon Paprika (or to taste; I use   More!)
1 teaspoon Nutmeg (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Each balsamic vinegar &amp;
White wine for sauteing

Cut the eggplant into thick slices (can leave skin on, if
desired) salted the slices, and let them drain for about
half an hour or so. Pat them dry with a paper towel, then
cut into bite-sized chunks. In a cup, mix equal parts
of balsamic vinegar and white wine for sauteing. Add crushed
garlic to this mixture, and use this to saute eggplant until
it is nice and soft (15-20 minutes at medium heat). Remove
eggplant, and saute mushrooms in remaining vinegar/wine
mixture until they release their juices. Stir in eggplant,
then add soup mix and water (or canned soup, if using that).
Add paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, and cook 5-6
minutes until sauce has thickened and vegetables are heated
through. Add additional water if sauce is too thick, and do
not overcook. Serve over rice or fettuccine noodles. Makes
plenty for 4-6 hungry people. Recipe can be halved. 

I got this soup recipe off the Internet, but unfortunately lost the
name of the author. Its really wonderful! The only comment
is that I use less water when making cream sauces than is
suggested here. 
From: [email-masked] (Tracey Sconyers). 
Fatfree Digest 

http://www.recipeway.com/

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.