Subject: Eggplant and Mushroom Curry
From: "saundra" <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Oct 1997 06:17:01 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

From: [email-masked]
I need a potato curry recipe in which you pop mustard seeds in oil.

Here is another good vegetable curry, in which you could substitute
potatoes.

Eggplant and Mushroom Curry

2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
1-2 tablespoons black mustard seed (Use brown if you can't find black.)
2 tablespoons sesame seed
2-3 teaspoons whole cominos (cumin seed)
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 -2 teaspoons salt
2-3 teaspoons turmeric
1/2-1 teaspoon (or more) ground chili peppers (chile powder without any
additives) or cayenne
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms

Heat oil in large, heavy pan. Add seeds and saute over very low heat about
5 minutes, or until they pop. Add onion, salt, tumeric, and ground chilis.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent (8-10 min.). Add
eggplant and mushrooms. Cover and cook, stirring often from the bottom of
the pan for 15-20 min,, or until eggplant is soft, adding a little water if
necessary. Serve over basmati rice and surround with green peas or a
mixture of  peas, onions, and carrots.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.