Subject: Dad's Meat Pies
From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Apr 1997 08:07:28 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Dad's Meat Pies
and 
Daughter Ruth's variations

DAD'S MEAT PIES

1 recipe of pie pastry for a 9" two crust pie (Betty Crocker's is my favorite)

1 onion
1 lb of lean ground beef
1 can Tomato Soup
1 can French cut green beans or (Dad's fav) Veg-All
   (note:  substitute your favorite frozen, canned, or fresh vegetables in 
approximately the same amounts)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Saute onion and ground beef.  Drain off any excess liquid and/or fat when
meat has browned and onions are translucent.  Add Tomato Soup (just what's
in the can, no additional liquid), green beans (or other veggies) and
season to taste.  When the mixture has heated through, remove from heat
and set aside. 

Prepare pie pastry and lay the bottom crust in a Pyrex pie pan.  Pierce
with a fork.  Add filling (you'll probably have a little left) and put top
crust on.  Cover edges of top crust with foil to prevent over baking. 
Bake at 350 degrees F until top of pie is light golden brown.  Remove foil
from the edges and continue baking until the edges have the same nice
color.  Remove and let the pie set for a few minutes before serving. 

DAUGHTER RUTH'S VARIATIONS

Not that Dad isn't a true artist in the kitchen... we just have different
taste! 

I often substitute one large recipe of plain French bread, mixed up in the
bread machine, for pie pastry.  Instead of making a traditional pie shape,
the bread lends itself to a "hand pie" or calzone type shape.  These are a
fabulous winter or fall evening meal! 

Filling...

3/4 lb leanest ground sirloin available
1 onion
1 -2 cloves garlic, pulverized
1 can stewed tomatoes, with liquid or (if I'm feelin' frisky) Ro-Tel (a mixture 
of chilis and tomatoes)  NOTE:  in summertime, I'll substitute fresh tomatoes 
and Anaheim chilis.
1 can French cut green beans, drained or whatever fresh veggies are in season.  
Fresh corn is also a favorite (though frozen works pretty well)

Either 1 recipe for two crust 9" inch pie or 1 large recipe plain French
bread, done to "dough" stage in a bread maker. 

If using pie crust, prepare like Dad's pies. 

If using bread dough, let rise a second time outside the bread maker, then
divide into six equal pieces.  Roll one piece into a rough circle, spoon
filling into middle, and crimp closed.  Repeat five more times.  Bake as
directed for regular pies, but skip the foil crust guards and keep a close
eye on the pies.  They take less time.  Serve right out of the oven, with
plenty of disclaimers about blowing on hot food before we eat it!  These
are sublime! 

NOTE:  with extra pie crust or bread dough, I roll out thinly, dot with
butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg, and sugar; roll up,
slice, and bake for dessert.  These are a huge hit and I've been told it's
a terrible risk to skip this step.  These are often done before the entree
is, but that doesn't stop my family from digging in anyway... 
Appe"teaser" 

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.