Subject: Czech Potato Pancakes
From: [email-masked] (OneBebe3)
Date: 3 Mar 1997 06:54:21 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Potato Pancakes - With a Czech twist!

1 kg potatoes
salt to taste
1/2 cup milk ( you can use non-fat, however, it's better with Vit D or 2%)
2 eggs
2 cloves garlic, minced
marjoram to taste
100 - 140 g flour
lard or oil for frying

Peel potatoes and grate or mince them.  Squeeze out water from potatoes
and discard it, add salt, sprinkle with milk to prevent blackening.  Add
eggs, garlic and marjoram to taste and enough flour to obtain a thick
batter.  Heat oil in frying pan and spread tablespoonfuls of the mixture
on the pan.  Fry on both sides till golden brown.  Serve immediatley while
crisp.  There are different modifications of theis dish:  In some areas
shredded saurekraut is added to the dough, in others smoked meat or
sausage or mashed apples. 

Sorry this recipe uses the metric measuring system, it comes from a
Czech/English cookbook my Mother In Law gave me years ago.  You can find
metric measuring cups in most gormet food stores and cooking stores (such
as Williams & Sonoma or Crate & Barrell).

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.