Subject: Curried Mushroom Barley Soup
From: "Dancer^" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Jan 2000 20:35:02 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

CURRIED MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
8 ounces smoked ham, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
4 to 5 teaspoons curry powder
2 cans (13 3/4 ounces each) ready-to-serve chicken broth
1 can (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup quick-cooking barley

In a large saucepan melt butter. Add carrots and onion; cook, stirring
occasionally until carrots are nearly crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add
mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms are tender, about 5
minutes. Add ham and curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, until curry is
fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, and barley.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered, until barley is tender,
about 10 minutes.

Servings: 4.

Dancer^ co moderator of
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/healthy-recipes
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/DiabeticRecipes
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/AllRecipes

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.