Subject: Curried Lentils with Eggplant and Mushrooms
From: [email-masked]
Date: 26 May 1997 06:23:36 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

This is one of my favorite eggplant dishes (I love curries) and is just
outstanding with grilled lamb chops.

              Curried Lentils with Eggplant and Mushrooms - serves 6

1 cup lentils
4 cups broth or water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 cups diced eggplant
2 cups quartered mushrooms
1 teas. curry powder
1/4 teas. ground cinnamon
1/4 teas. ground turmeric
1 teas. lemon zest
Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer lentils in broth or water until barely tender (approx. 30 minutes).
 Remove from heat and let sit in liquid until needed.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic, ginger, onion and
red pepper and saute until tender, about 6-8 minutes.  Add eggplant,
mushrooms, curry, cinnamon, turmeric and lemon zest.  Cook about 5 minutes,
until mushrooms release some moisture.  Drain lentils, reserving about 1 cup
of the cooking liquid and add them to the skillet.  Add enough of the cooking
liquid to moisten well.  Cover skillet and cook over low heat until eggplant
is very tender, about 30 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Note: spices may be increased to taste.  This can also be used to stuff
hollowed out squash and zucchini and baked until squash is tender and served
with a tomato sauce.

DoD

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.