Subject: Cucumber sandwiches
From: eureka <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 1996 19:50:19 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

ESTHER'S CUCUMBER SANDWICHES

I grew up in England in a household where we had cucumber sandwiches for 
tea very often; we also used to take them for seaside picnics.  Here is 
the recipe of my grandfather's housekeeper, Esther King:

1 thin cucumber
1 loaf brown bread, sliced 
1 stick sweet butter
salt and pepper to taste

Peel cucumber and slice in paper-thin rounds.  Salt rounds lightly and 
place in colander for 15 minutes to drain.  Press to release water; pat 
dry with paper towels.

Spread sliced bread (bakery whole wheat is closest to English Hovis) 
with softened sweet butter.  Put 2 layers of cucumber slices on bottom 
slice, salt and pepper to taste, and top with another buttered slice.   
Press lightly with palm of hand.  Cut all crusts off with a sharp knife.  
Cut sandwiches in half diagonally.

Eureka
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.