Subject: Unusual Cucumber Marmalade
From: [email-masked] (Jason Bailes)
Date: 26 May 1997 20:20:57 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

SOURCE:  Old Mobile Magazine
        
Every household in old Mobile had a few recipes which were handed down with
admonitions not to give everybody the directions. If one wished to have a
good idea of the exact ingredients and the true cooking method for some
dish, one had to talk to three ladies of the same family on the same day,
before they could decide how to edit the recipe before passing it on. Here's
a delicious marmalade nobody could ever quite figure out. The lady who made
it, unmarried, childless, on her deathbed wrote it out for her faithful
grocery delivery boy who not only brought her groceries but mailed letters,
picked up the newspapers, all that. This mystery marmalade is equally good
on hot biscuits, muffins, and pones, even on top of frozen buttermilk as
dessert.

KEEP-IT-SECRET MARMALADE

2 cups finely-chopped cucumbers
4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup of lime juice (or lemon, but lime's better)
2 Tblspns. grated lime peel (if necessary, lemon will serve)
1/2 bottle liquid fruit pectin
whatever coloring you fancy: beet juice, blueberry juice.

In big saucepan combine cucumbers, sugar, juice and peel. Mix well, add
coloring, boil one minute over high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from
stove, stir in pectin. Skim off foam, stir and skim 5 minutes to cool a bit.
Ladle quickly into jelly glasses and cover with 1/8 inch hot paraffin. Makes
about five jelly glasses.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.