Subject: Moros y Cristianos (Black Beans and Rice)
From: [email-masked] (Sam Waring)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 18:50:50 +0100
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

In article <[email-masked]>, "kathy" said this about that:

> how do you make black beans and rice.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

      Title: MOROS Y CRISTIANOS (Black Beans & Rice)
 Categories: Cuban, Pork, Vegetables
      Yield: 4 servings

           Basic Black Beans*
      3    6" pieces of slab bacon
      2    Garlic cloves; crushed
      2 T  Olive oil
      1 c  Liquid from previously
           -cooked black beans
      1 c  Rice, uncooked
    1/2 c  ;Water
    1/2 c  Black beans; drained
    1/2 ts Olive oil

  *See Basic Black Beans recipe below

  Prepare Basic Black Beans recipe, reserving liquid from beans.

  In a 2-qt. saucepan, saute slab bacon and garlic in olive oil until
  they are lightly browned.  Remove from pan; set aside.

  Put rice in the pan and cook until it begins to crackle.  Add water
  and liquid from black beans. Cover and cook over medium-low heat
  until rice is rather dry (water will be almost completely absorbed)
  and almost tender. Add black beans and olive oil; cook a little
  longer until rice is tender but not too soft or mushy.  Mix in
  browned pieces of bacon and garlic. Serve hot.

  Recipe from Sandy Vasquez of Honduras and Miami, FL, who got the
  recipe from her Cuban grandmother.  Tried on 09/01/90 when Sandy
  taught a Cuban cooking class at The Cookbook Cottage/1279 Bardstown
  Rd./Louisville, KY 40204. Posted by Cathy Harned.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

      Title: BASIC BLACK BEANS
 Categories: Cuban, Vegetables
      Yield: 6 servings

     14 oz Dried black beans
      2 qt ;Water
    1/8 ts Baking soda
    1/2 ts Ground oregano
      2 ts Ground cumin
      1    Green pepper; quartered
    1/2    Onion; finely chopped
      3 T  Minced garlic
    1/4 c  Olive oil
      3 T  Cider vinegar
    1/4 c  Sherry wine
           Salt; to taste

  Rinse beans and discard any stones. In a large pot, soak beans
  overnight in water with baking soda, oregano, cumin and green pepper.

  The next day, add onion, garlic, olive oil, cider vinegar, sherry and
  salt to the water and cook on medium-low heat for about 3 hours or
  until the beans are very tender and liquid is reduced and somewhat
  thickened.  Make sure liquid in pot does not entirely boil away.  To
  prevent beans from burning, add more water when necessary.

  Recipe from Sandy Vasquez of Honduras and Miami, FL, who got the
  recipe from her Cuban grandmother. Tried on 09/01/90 when Sandy
  taught a Cuban cooking class at The Cookbook Cottage/1279 Bardstown
  Rd./Louisville, KY 40204. Posted by Cathy Harned.

MMMMM
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article which is
now available on line: http://www.duke.edu/~tfdpress/rfrpost.html.
Recipes/articles go to [email-masked]; requests go to [email-masked];
questions/comments go to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.