Subject: Cranberries and Poultry
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Feb 1997 18:31:02 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Submitted by: [email-masked]

                          Cranberries and Poultry 

My wife and I reached an agreement that I would fix dinner once a week.
I scoured cookbooks to find something I could take pride in and not
mess up.  I also prefer to have low fat recipes, as I am in the health
profession, but they have to taste good.  I found this gem in Jeff Smith's
Cooking American and adapted it. 

This is an outstanding and low fat addition to accentuate the flavor and
moistness of poultry, pork or even ham.  Best of all it can be prepared
ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator and taken out and baked for
dinner. 
                       
The heart of this recipe is the sauce.  It's delicious and is very easy
to prepare, I was able to do it and it turned out great!

     1 chicken or 3-3 1/2 pounds of other poultry
     1 can (16 ounces) whole sweetened cranberries 
     1/4 cup (1 medium) chopped yellow onion  
     3/4 cup orange juice
     1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
     1/4 teaspoon ginger

Cut up the chicken and peel off the skin.  Place the chicken or other
white meat* in a shallow baking dish; bake in the oven at 350 degrees F.,
approximately 20 minutes.  Meanwhile mix the cranberries, onion, orange
juice, cinnamon, and ginger in saucepan and bring to a boil.  Pour this
over the meat and bake for another 35-40 minutes; (after 20 minutes
turn the chicken over in the dish to maximize moistness and flavor). 

(Potatoes or sweet potatoes can be placed next to the dish in the oven so
that both are ready around the same time.  The potatoes can be cut in half
and the sauce can be spooned over, for a refreshing new taste.)

* Turkey, pork or other white meats can be used with minor modifications. 

From The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American,  by Jeff Smith

===
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article. Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked]. 
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.