Subject: Cowboy's Brisket
From: Ben <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 2000 14:44:30 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Cowboy's Brisket

4 pounds First Cut Brisket Of Beef
3 each Cloves Garlic, Slivered
3 each Cloves Garlic, Crushed
4 each Large Onions, Thinly Sliced
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon Bacon Fat
1 cup Strong Black Coffee
1 per serving Salt & Pepper, To Taste
1/2 cup Water

With a long thin, sharp knife, make slits in the meat and
insert the slivers of garlic.  Place the meat in a bowl,
spread 1 sliced onion and the crushed garlic over the meat,
and pour in the vinegar. Marinate for 6 hours at room
temperature or overnight in the refrigerator, turning
several times.  When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350
degrees F. Heat the bacon fat in a deep, heavy skillet large
enough to hold the brisket. Remove the brisket from the
marinade and discard the onion and vinegar. Dry with paper
towels. Brown the meat well on all sides. Remove brisket to
a platter.  In the fat remaining in the skillet, saute the
remaining sliced onions until deeply browned.  Pour in 1/2
cup coffee. Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the
bottom of the skillet to loosen the browned bits.  Spread
the onions and liquid from the skillet in a shallow baking
dish.  Place the brisket on the onions. Season with salt and
freshly ground pepper to taste.  Pour in the remaining
coffee and water.  Cover tightly with foil and place in oven
for 1/2 hour.  Turn the oven down to 250 degrees F. and bake
for an additional 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
Slice the brisket thinly against the grain.  Skim the fat
from the pan liquid. Return the meat slices to the pan.
Serve at once or refrigerate for later use.

http://www.recipeway.com/

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.