Subject: Cotes de Porc Braises a la Moutarde
From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 1999 05:42:40 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

submitted by: [email-masked]
from USA

Cotes de Porc Braises a la Moutarde

 Tried last night.  Adapted from The Cooking of Provincial France - Time-Life

Cotes de Porc Braises a la Moutarde

Braised pork chops with creamy mustard sauce

6 pork chops, 1.5 inches thick
salt and freshly ground pepper
flour
2 Tbs. butter or margarine
3 Tbs. olive oil
1.5 cups thinly sliced onions
3 Tbs. white wine vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. fines herbs
3/4 cup half and half
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
few drops of lemon juice
parsley, either fresh or from pantry, whole or chopped for color/garnish.   

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Add salt and pepper to flour and dip chops in
flour, shaking off excess.  In a heavy skillet or oven proof lidded metal
casserole melt butter and add oil - you may not need all of this - use a
minimum and add if needed.  When foam subsides, brown the chops on each side -
about three minutes or until they have a rich golden color.  As they brown set
aside, either to casserole or to a plate.  
After browning chops, pour off excess fat and add onions, cooking over
moderate heat until soft and lightly brown.  Stir frequently.  Remove onions,
add vinegar and stir to scrape up all the browned bits.  Cook until the
vinegar has almost boiled away.  
Combine chops, onion, vinegar residue, fines herbs and bay leaf in casserole,
bring to sizzle on top of stove, cover tightly and then put in oven.  
Cook for twenty minutes and turn over.  Add liquid if necessary, but that is
unlikely.
Check for doneness after twenty more minutes - they will be done and remove
chops and onions to ovenproof serving dish.  Turn off oven and place chops
back in oven to stay warm.  Skim off excess fat.  Put casserole over high heat
and add half and half and mustard.  Bring liquid to a fast boil, stirring
constantly.  When sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon,
remove from heat and add lemon juice.  Pour over chops and onions, add parsley
and serve. 

Gene Moser
http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.