Subject: Chocolate-Zucchini cake
From: Christine <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jul 1996 18:45:35 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

I adapted this recipe from "The New Chatelaine Cookbook."  The editor, Monda
Rosenberg claims that one of her staff members gained 7 pounds while triple
testing this recipe.  I think it's a clever way to use zucchini.

3 medium size zucchini
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp each cinnamon and salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 (1 oz, 28 g) squares semisweet chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1 tbsp vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Grate the
unpeeled zucchini (medium.)  Measure out 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini and
place it in a kitchen cloth.  Gently wring out as much moisture as possible,
then place the zucchini in a bowl.  Stir the raisins and chopped nuts with
the grated zucchini, then set the mixture aside while preparing the flour
mixture.

Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg
into a small bowl.  Melt the chocolate (double boiler or microwave method.)

Place the sugar, eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl.  Beat with an
electric mixer at medium speed for about 2 minutes, until slightly frothy.
Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in the melted chocolate, then the
vanilla.  Pour milk into a measuring cup, then stir the vinegar into the milk.

Beat one-third of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, followed by
half of the milk and vinegar mixture.  Repeat the process, beating the
mixture briefly after each addition, ending with the flour mixture.  The
batter is very thick, so you should stir in the last part of the dry
ingredients with a wooden spoon.  Stir the mixture just until no streaks of
flour remain.  Add the zucchini mixture and stir until well distributed.

Pour the chocolate-zucchini mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Bake
in the centre of the preheated oven until the cake springs back when lightly
touched in the centre, about 40 to 45 minutes.  Leave the cake in the pan
and place it on a rack to cool.  The cake is very most and keeps well when
stored in the refrigerator.  It may also be frozen.

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments go to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.