Subject: Drop-Dead Chocolate-Espresso Mousse Cake
From: Doug Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 May 1997 06:17:05 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Copied from "Let Them Eat Cake" 140 Sinfully rich Desserts -- With a
Fraction of the Fat. by Susan G. Purdy

It is hard to believe that this recipe is "lower" in calories...does
not taste that way.

Drop-Dead Chocolate-Espresso Mousse Cake
Serves 12

My Comments:
1) I use a regular crumb crust because I could not get any of the crumbs
to stick to the springform pan by only using cooking spray.
2) Top with a raspberry sauce.
3) I usually serve 10.
4) Warm some water in another saucepan for the water bath before you
start.

Special Equipment:
8x2 Springform Pan
Roasting pan large enough to hold springform pan for water bath

Batter:
1 cup whole milk (not low-fat)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon espresso coffee powder or regular instant 
coffee
    can substitute orange, hazelnut or almond extract ... I use almond.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsifted unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa (such as Droste) or
    regular unsweetened cocoa plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and
leveled off
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Crumb Crust:
Butter-flavor no-stick cooking spray
1/4 cup chocolate wafer or chocolate graham cracker crumbs

Topping (optional):
1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

Directions: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven
to 325 F. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, coffee powder,
butter and chocolate.  Set over very low heat and stir on and off until
the sugar dissolves and the solids melt; stir to blend.  Do not boil. 
Remove from the heat and set aside to cool until no longer hot to the
touch. 

In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs, egg white, and
vanilla; set aside.  Place a sifter over a second bowl and measure into it
the cocoa, flour , baking powder, and salt.  Stir/drift the dry
ingredients into the bowl and set aside.  To prepare the crumb crust, coat
the inside of a springform pan with cooking spray, add the crumbs, and
rotate and tilt the pan until the entire inside is covered.  Spread any
excess crumbs over the pan bottom.  Cut a piece of heavy-duty aluminum
foil (or two layers of regular foil) about 15 inches square, set the pan
in the center of the foil, and pleat and crimp the foil tightly against
the pan sides.  This will prevent water from seeping into the pan during
baking in the water bath. 

Test the temperature of the chocolate liquid; if comfortable to touch,
whisk a little chocolate into the egg mixture to warm it slightly, then
whisk all the eggs into all the chocolate and blend very well.  Whisk this
mixture into the dry ingredients.  When thoroughly blended (no flour
mixture should be visible), pour the batter into the prepared pan. 

Set the pan (in its foil jacket) in the center of a roasting pan and add
hot water until it reaches about one third of the way up the pan sides. 
Set the pans in the oven and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until the cake top
is raised, shiny, and slightly springy when pressed with your finger.  A
cake tester inserted about 1 inch in from the edge will come out with a
few moist crumbs attached.  Remove the pan from the water bath, cool on a
wire rack for about 15 minutes, then peel away the foil jacket.  Allow to
cool for at least 45 minutes longer before serving, or refrigerate
overnight. 

Serving: Remove the side of the springform pan, leaving the cake on the
pan bottom.  The top requires no decoration, but you can sift on a light
dusting of cocoa just before serving if you wish. 

Can be served warm, about 1 hour after baking, or can be baked up to 3
days in advance and refrigerated, covered.  Bring to room temperature
before serving if chilled. 

Nutritional Analysis (per serving):
225 calories; 5 g protein; 7 g fat; 2 g satfat; 40 g carbohydrate; 169
mg sodium; 44 mg cholesterol.

====
To use the remaining egg yolk....

Vanilla Custard Sauce

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon skim milk, divide
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk together 1 cup of the milk, the egg
and egg yolk, and the sugar.  Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1
tablespoon of milk, then whisk it in.

Set the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring off and on with
a wooden spoon, for 4 to 5 minutes.  Then whisk continuously for the
next 2 minutes, until the custard is thick enough to coat a spoon.  Turn
the spoon over and draw a line down its back; if the line does not close
up, the custard is done.  To not allow the custard to come to a boil. 
Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla, then strain into a bowl.  Let
cool.  Refrigerate until served.

Nutritional Analysis (per 2 1/2 tablespoon serving)
44 calories; 2 g protein; 1 g fat; 0.4 g satfat; 5 g carbohydrate; 26 mg
sodium; 54 mg cholesterol

-- 
Doug Kline
h: [email-masked]       w: [email-masked]

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.