Subject: Chili Colorado
From: Randy Brittain <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jan 1999 10:29:28 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Chili Colorado

12 dried ancho peppers or dried mild New Mexico red peppers finely
chopped
4  dried chipotle peppers or 4 canned finely chopped
3  cups of water
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1  tbs snipped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
3  cloves of garlic minced
1  tbs  olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4  tsp salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin

Cut up peppers, discard stems and seeds. Bring water to boil, remove from heat. 
Add peppers and let stand for 45 to 60 minutes to soften. DO NOT DRAIN.  
Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook onion, oregano and garlic in hot oil for 3 
minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.  Place half of the undrained peppers 
and ha;f of the chopped tomatoes in a food processor and process until nearly 
smooth.  Strain through a fine sieve to remove any stems or seeds from tomatoes 
and peppers.  Repeat this process with the remaining peppers and tomatoes.  Add 
to onion mixture in skillet along with salt and cumin.  Bring to a boil, reduce 
heat and simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.  Serve with huevos rancheros, 
grilled meats and poultry.

from Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cooking.

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.