Subject: Chicken Monterey
From: Janie McKinney <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 1997 05:55:18 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

CHICKEN MONTEREY        

>From the Silver Palate.

Officially this is a fricassee--that is, the chicken is first partially
cooked in butter or oil and is then finished in a liquid, in this case a
mixture of orange juice, tomatoes and chicken stock. . . . Parsleyed rice,
buttered pasta or steamed new potatoes would all be good starchy
accompaniments, but you could offer lots of crusty bread for mopping up the
tasty sauce.

5 tablespoons best-quality olive oil
1 chicken, 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, quartered
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 cup chicken stock or canned chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 medium-sized sweet red pepper, stemmed and cored, cut into julienne 
1/2 large zucchini and 1/2 large yellow summer squash, cleaned and sliced
diagonally
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley (garnish)
grated zest of 1 orange (garnish)

Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet.  Pat the chicken
pieces dry, season them with salt and pepper, and cook gently in the oil for
5 minutes.  Turn the chicken over, season again, then cook for another 5
minutes.  Do not attempt to brown the chicken or you will overcook it; it
should be pale gold.  Remove chicken from skillet and reserve.Add the onions, 
carrots and garlic to the oil remaining in the skillet
and cook, covered, over low heat until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
Uncover skillet and add the chicken stock or broth, orange juice,
tomatoes and rosemary.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer the
mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes.  
Return chicken pieces to the pan and simmer further, 20 to 25 minutes
until chicken is nearly done.  Baste the pieces with the sauce and turn them
once at the 15-minute mark.  (If you wish, you may complete the recipe to
this point the day before serving.  Refrigerate chicken in the sauce and
reheat gently before proceeding.)
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in another skillet and saute
the pepper julienne for 5 minutes.  Add sliced zucchini and yellow squash
and season with the salt and pepper.  Raise the heat ant toss the vegetables
in the oil until they are tender but still firm, another 5 minutes or so.  
With a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to the skillet with the
chicken and simmer together for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with the chopped
parsley and orange zest and serve immediately.  

2 to 4 portions

~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.