Subject: Chicken in Herbed Eggplant & Tomato Sauce
From: "babycakes" <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Mar 1999 05:27:19 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Babycake's Chicken in Herbed Eggplant & Tomato Sauce

2 thighs (see notes)
2 legs
1 medium eggplant (diced about 1/2-inch pieces)
2 cans diced tomatoes with Italian Herbs
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (8-ounce) non-fat plain yogurt
2-3 TBS sliced, chopped green onions
1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
salt to taste and black pepper to taste
2 TBS olive oil (I use Extra Light)

First, I put olive oil in frying pan and on high temperature I browned the
chicken on both sides cooking approximately 3-4 minutes on each. Then
removed them to casserole dish. With oil in skillet, I added eggplant,
tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
Let this cook through a few minutes while I put together tomato sauce and
yogurt and blended well with whisk. At this point I added approximately 1/2
cup water to help thin tomato and yogurt mixture. Then I poured into skillet
with tomatoes and eggplant and mixed well.
With chicken in casserole dish on bottom, I poured the tomato and eggplant
combination over all the chicken and put in preheated oven on 400 degrees
for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour; uncovered. (Time may vary depending
on size of chicken pieces.)

Serves 4 to 6.

Cynthia's notes:
To help make this a lowfat meal... I'd take the skin off the chicken.
Next time, I'll add 4 extra pieces of chicken to compensate the extra sauce
leftover.  I served this with brown rice and steamed fresh green beans on
the side. If using chicken breast, I think I would use 6 for this casserole.
Legs and thighs, I'd use 8 pieces all total. Allowing 2 pieces per serving.

posted by Cynthia
[email-masked]

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.