Subject: Santa Fe Chicken Enchildas
From: Pam Whitmire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 07:48:48 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

These are totally incredible- found the recipe in the newspaper   I
couldn't believe how good they turned out; delicious! I used water in
place of the tequila and they were fine.

Santa Fe Chicken Enchiladas

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used 6 and made 12-14 enchiladas
instead of 8)
3/4 cup bottled salsa
2 Tbsp each: olive oil, fresh lime juice and tequila
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 (1/4-inch-thick) slices red onion
1 lg. green bell pepper, sliced
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
5 Tbsp butter, divided
4 ounces chopped green chilies
1/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 t. each, ground: coriander and cumin
2 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
8 flour tortillas

In a large resealable plastic bag, place chicken, salsa, olive oil,
juice, tequila, garlic, onion and bell pepper. Marinate in refrigerator
at least 2 hours, turning every 30 minutes. Remove chicken from
marinade. Heat vegetable oil in skillet; brown chicken. Remove from
heat, let cool, then chop chicken into small cubes.
Remove onion and bell pepper from marinade, reserving marinade. Chop
onion and bell pepper. Melt 2 Tbsp butter; saute onion and bell pepper
until softened. Place in a bowl; stir in chicken and chilies. Set aside.
Melt remaining butter in pan; blend in flour, chili powder, coriander
and cumin. Whisk in broth. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils. Remove
from heat; stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir 1/2 cup sauce into
chicken mixture.
Preheat oven to 350F. Pour reserved marinade into skillet; bring to a
boil. Dip each tortilla into marinade to soften slightly. Spoon chicken
mixture down center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and arrange in a
9x13 pan. Drizzle remaining sauce and marinade over tortillas. Sprinkle
with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered,  25 minutes or until hot.
Note: I didn't pour the marinade over the enchiladas since I felt the
sauce was plenty and they turned out fine.
>From Michael Abbene

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.