Subject: Chicken Cordon Bleu
From: "Bob & Kathy Ewald" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Jan 1999 06:22:11 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>From Craig Claiborne's New York Times Cookbook

Chicken Cordon Bleu   AKA " Supremes de Volaille Cordon Bleu"

1/4 pound shredded Gruyere or Swiss Cheese   (1 & 1/2 cups)
1/4 pound boiled ham, sliced 1/4 inch thick, cut into 6 rectangles
3 whole or 6 half chicken breasts, skinned and boned (cut whole breasts in
half for six total pieces)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2  large eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup flour
3 cups of fresh bread crumbs
oil for frying

Have the cheese and ham ready for the filling. Place the chicken breasts between
sheets of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a flat mallet to make them larger.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the shredded cheese in the 
center of each chicken breast. Cover with 1 rectangle of ham. Spoon another 
tablespoon of cheese on top of each piece of ham. Fold the edges of the chicken 
breasts over to enclose the filling. Place the stuffed chicken breasts briefly 
in the freezer before breading them.(I use toothpicks to hold them shut.  Remove
if desired.  (or warn the guests) Beat the eggs with the water in a flat 
container. Dip the stuffed chicken breasts first in flour to coat well, then in 
egg and then in bread crumbs. Cook in deep fat until golden brown and cooked 
through, 10 minutes, more or less, depending on the size of the stuffed pieces. 
Serves six 
I hope this is what you are looking for.
Bon apetit !

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.

Path: swen.emba.uvm.edu!attmt1!ip.att.net!news.esinet.net!news1.cstone.net!newsfeed.slip.net!nntp.flash.net!howland.erols.net!newsfeed.cwix.com!206.102.31.251!news.cmc.net!feeder.swcp.com!sloth.swcp.com!llama.swcp.com!not-for-mail
From: "Fred Towner" <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Collection (4) Chicken Cordon Bleu
Followup-To: rec.food.cooking
Date: 9 Jan 1999 05:13:02 -0700
Organization: Fred Towner Collection
Lines: 155
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Fred Towner" <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: llama.swcp.com
Xref: swen.emba.uvm.edu rec.food.recipes:30510

Chicken Cordon Bleu
Casserole Chicken Cordon Bleu
Weight Watchers Chicken Cordon Bleu
Oven Chicken Cordon Bleu

>From: William Dennehy <[email-masked]>
>Anyone have a recipe for chicken cordon bleu?

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Chicken Cordon Bleu
 Categories: Chicken
      Yield: 6 servings

      6 each Chicken breasts
      8 oz Swiss Cheese slices
      8 oz Cooked ham slices
      3 Tbsp Flour
      1 tsp Paprika
      6 Tbsp Butter or margarine
    1/2 cup  Dry white wine
      1 tsp Chicken stock
      1 Tbsp Cornstarch
      1 cup  Heavy or whipping cream

(I use vermouth for the white wine.  Ham and cheese slices should be
 thin and pliable.)
Skin and bone breasts, pound to even thickness.  Cover each breast
with a slice of cheese and a slice of ham.  Fold chicken over ham and
cheese, wrapping to enclose as in a pocket, fasten with toothpicks.
Mix flour and paprika, roll chicken in this mixture.  Melt butter or
margarine, brown chicken rolls well on all sides.  Add wine and stock
(can use more stock and less wine if desired).  Reduce heat to low,
cover and simmer 30 minutes or until fork tender.  Remove toothpicks.
Blend cornstarch and cream, stir into skillet.  Cook stirring
constantly until thickened.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Casserole Chicken Cordon Bleu
 Categories: Chicken, Microwave
      Yield: 2 servings

      1 cup  Broccoli florets
      1 cup  Stuffing mix
      2 each Chicken breast halves
      2 each Slices Swiss cheese
      2 each Slices ham
      1 each Can chicken gravy

Steam broccoli.  Moisten stuffing mix.  Combine broccoli & stuffing.
Put chicken breasts in baking dish, sprinkle with pepper.
Top chicken with cheese slice, then ham slice, then stuffing mix.
Cover and micro on medium-high (70%) 15 minutes, rotating dish three
times.  Uncover, top with chicken gravy, microcook on high to heat.

>From the recipe files of Sheila Exner - March 1992

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Weight Watchers Chicken Cordon Bleu
 Categories: Low-cal, Poultry
      Yield: 2 servings

      2    3 oz chicken cutlets
      2    Slices each turkey ham &
           Reduced calorie Swiss cheese
           1/2 oz each
      1 Tbsp Plus 2 tsp Dijon mustard,
           - divided
      1 tsp Honey
    1/3 cup  + 2 tsp plain bread crumbs
    1/2 cup  Canned chicken broth
      2 tsp Flour
      1 Tbsp Sour cream
      2 tsp Vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 375F. Top each chicken cutlet with 1 slice turkey
ham and 1 slice cheese: starting from narrow end, roll each cutlet
jelly-roll style and secure with toothpick.
In a small mixing bowl, combine 1 Tbsp mustard and the honey; spread
half of the mixture evenly over each chicken roll.
On a sheet of waxed paper arrange bread crumbs; turn chicken rolls
in bread crumbs, coating all sides and using all of the bread crumbs.
Arrange chicken rolls on a non-stick cooking sheet and drizzle each
with 1 tsp. oil. Bake until chicken is cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
While chicken is baking, prepare sauce. In a small saucepan,
combine broth and flour stirring to dissolve flour. Cook over medium-
high heat stirring frequently until mixture thickens, about 3-4
minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in sour cream and remaining
mustard. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes longer. DO NOT BOIL.
To serve, remove toothpicks and cut each chicken roll crosswise
into 4 equal slices. Onto each of 2 serving plates pour half of the
sauce and top with four chicken roll slices.

Source:  Weight Watchers Healthy Life Style Cookbook

Each serving provides:  1 fat, 3 proteins, 1 bread, 60 optional cals.
Per serving:  329 calories

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Oven Chicken Cordon Bleu
 Categories: Poultry, Low-cal, Low-fat
      Yield: 4 Servings

      4    Boneless skinless chicken
           -breast halves
      2 tsp Dijon mustard
      4 tsp Chopped fresh chives
      4    Very thin slices cooked lean
           -ham, about 3/4 oz each
      4    Very thin slices low-fat
           Swiss cheese, 3/4 oz each
      1    Egg white
      1 Tbsp Water
    1/3 cup  Cornflake crumbs
    1/4 tsp Paprika

Heat oven to 375F. Spray 8 inch square (1 1/2 quart) baking dish
with nonstick spray.
Place 1 chicken breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed
paper. Working from center, gently pound chicken with rolling pin or
flat side of meat mallet until about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with
remaining chicken pieces, making four cutlets.
Spread each cutlet with 1/2 teaspoon mustard; sprinkle each with 1
teaspoon chives. Cut ham and cheese slices to fit chicken cutlets.
Roll up, tucking ends inside.
In a shallow bowl, combine egg white and water; beat slightly.
Place cornflake crumbs in shallow dish. Coat chicken rolls with egg
white mixture; roll in cornflake crumbs. Place in spray-coated dish.
Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and
juices are clear.

Nutritional info: per serving: calories - 250; fat 7 gm; sodium - 780
mg. Dietary exchanges: 1/2 bread, 4 meats.
Source: Pillsbury Fast and Healthy Magazine, March/April 1994

MMMMM

>From the recipe collection of Fred Towner

.... Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Requests/Recipes go to [email-masked];
Questions/Comments to [email-masked]. Please allow several days
for your submission to appear.