Subject: Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice Stew.
From: "Michele Stubbe" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 1999 15:10:54 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

ASOPAO DE POLLO - Chicken and Rice Stew.

Asopao means "soupy" and that's what this national dish of Puerto Rico
is.

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter or oil
1  3-pound chicken, cut up
1 green pepper chopped
2 onions chopped
1/2 cup lean ham, diced
4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 cups rice
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
 6-8 small green pimento-stuffed olives
1 tablespoon grated cheese

Grind the garlic, oregano, and salt into a paste and rub it on the
chicken pieces.  Heat the butter or oil in a Dutch oven or large
casserole and brown the chicken pieces on all sides for 10-12 minutes
over moderate heat.  Remove the meat and keep warm.
Now add the chopped pepper and onion to the pot and cook slowly for 3
minutes.  Add the ham and cook for a minute, then the tomatoes and cook
2 minutes more.  Pour the tomato mixture into a bowl and then return the
chicken pieces to the pot.  Now spoon the tomato mixture over the
chicken, coating each piece completely.  Cover the pot and cook over low
heat for 40 minutes.  When done, remove the chicken to a plate to cool.
While the chicken is cooking, pour 2 cups of rice into a pot with the
stock.  Add a little salt and pepper and stir to mix the rice and tomato
mixture.  Replace the cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
When the chicken is cool, strip off the meat, discarding skin and bones,
and cut meat into bite size chunks.When the rice is done, add the
chicken chunks to the pot along with the peas and simmer, covered for
10 minutes.  Now add the olives and sprinkle on the grated cheese.
Simmer 2-3 minutes more, then serve directly from the pot.  Serves 4-6

Michele Stubbe
[email-masked]

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.