Subject: Chanfana ou Lampantana
From: "CMP cc" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 1999 13:21:38 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

CHANFANA OU LAMPANTANA

This dish was typical of the Beira provinces in Mozambique where it was
served at large gatherings.  This dish is best prepared a day in advance and
reheated. It is preferable to use an iron pot, but a good quality oven
proof pot will do. Lamb may be used instead of goat. Preheat oven to 200
degrees C.

2,5 - 3 kg goat, cut into large pieces
120 g bacon, diced
125 ml olive oil
25 ml lard
2 onions, sliced
5 ml paprika
2 ml ground cloves
2 ml ground nutmeg
1 bay leaf
1 sprig parsley
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
Piri-Piri (optional
3 - 4 litres red wine

Place the meat and bacon in a pot and add the oil and lard.  Add the
onions, spices, herbs and seasonings.  Cover completely with the wine.

Cover the pot and place it in a very hot oven (200 degrees C) for 1 hour. 
Remove the lit and stir.  Add more wine if necessary.  Cover the pot again
and reduce the oven temperature of 100 degrees C.  Continue cooking,
preferably overnight or until the meat is tender.  (The time taken will
depend on the age of the lamb or goat.)  Serve with potatoes boiled in
their Jackets.

Serves 6 - 8

"Cooking the Portuguese Way"

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.