Subject: Caucasian Grilled Stuffed Chicken
From: Jodie Kain <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Feb 1997 21:07:34 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

>From: [email-masked] (Megan Perks)
>I bought a pail of frozen sour cherries at the end of the summer and
>aside from serving them with custard, I don't know what to do with
>them. Any ideas would be welcome.

from The Georgian Feast by Darra Goldstein (ISBN 0-06-016646-0)
This recipe calls for rehydrated dried sour cherries. I'd imagine a direct
swap with well drained frozen cherries would work well.
cheers - Jodie

Caucasian Grilled Stuffed Chicken

serves 4

3/4 cup uncooked rice
1 1/4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup tart dried cherries
3 med onions, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
5 Tb butter
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt
freshly ground black pepper
6-7 lb roasting hen
chopped parsley and dill for garnish

Cook the rice with the water and salt until tender but firm, about 12 mins.
Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, soak the dried cherries in warm water to
cover until soft. Drain and chop coarsely.

Saute the onions and garlic in 4 Tb of the butter until golden. Stir in
the cooked rice, cherries, and the parsley. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Stuff the chicken with this mixture and sew it up. Rub the chicken
all over with the remaining tablespoon of butter, and place on a spit over
a wood fire. The skin will crisp in no time; the chicken is done when the
leg joint can be easily moved. Alternately, the chicken may be roasted in
a 350 F oven for 2 hours. 

To serve, cool slightly, then cut into quarters. Garnish with herbs.
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.