Subject: Carribean Curry
From: "Robin Cowdrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Oct 1999 17:52:51 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Request: I am hoping for a recipe for chicken curry, but a specific type, that 
is
what I call Carribean Curry    a yellow curry that you would use to make
Chicken

Roti or something similar, light and saucy with or without vegies or
potatoes. Any one know what I am talking about? Any help will be
appreciated.

Roti

      -----Curried Chicken Filling----
3 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1  onion; chopped
2 cloves garlic; minced
3 tablespoons curry powder
2 cups water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
  salt and pepper
      -----Curried Chick-Pea Filling----
1 cans (19 oz) chick-peas
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1  onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon tomato paste
2 cups water
1/4 cup chopped green onions
  salt and pepper
      -----Spinach Filling-----
1 package (10 oz) fresh spinach
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2  onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; minced
1  tomato; diced
  salt and pepper

Make one or all three of the fillings below to enclose in a soft roti
envelope.

Curried Chicken Filling: Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside. In
skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add curry powder; cook, stirring,
for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the water and the tomato paste; cook,
stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add chicken; cover and cook for 10
minutes. Pour in remaining water; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until
chicken is no longer pink inside. Drain off excess liquid. Season with salt
and pepper to taste.

Curried Chick-Pea Filling: Drain and rinse chick-peas; set aside. In
skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 1 minute. Add
garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add curry powder; cook for 1 minute.
Stir in tomato paste and 1/4 cup of the water; cook for 2 minutes. Add
chick-peas, green onions and remaining water; bring to boil. Reduce heat
and simmer for 5 minutes or until chick-peas are softened. Season with salt
and pepper to taste.

Spinach Filling: Trim, wash and coarsely chop spinach; set aside. In
skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add spinach; cook, stirring, just
until wilted. Stir in tomato, and salt and pepper to taste; cook for 1
minute.

Contributor:  Richard Bacchus

Yield: 12 servings

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.