Subject: Caribbean chicken with pineapple-black bean sauce*
From: [email-masked] (AndrewC603)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 17:12:29 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

CARIBBEAN CHICKEN WITH PINEAPPLE-BLACK BEAN SAUCE*

Makes 6 main dish servings.

Vegetable cooking spray
6 small skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lbs)
Salt
Pepper
1 large sweet red pepper, sliced
6 green onions and tops, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 2 jalapeno pepper, veins and seeds discarded, minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger root
1 can (13 3/4 ounces) _ less sodium chicken broth
2 cups cubed pineapple
1/2 cup mango chutney
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black beans drained and rinsed
4 cups cooked rice, warm

Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. 
Cook chicken breasts over medium heat until browned, 5 to 7 minutes on
each side; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.  Transfer chicken to 13
x 9 inch baking pan.

Spray medium skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. 
Saute red pepper, onions, garlic, jalapeno pepper and ginger root until
onions are tender, about 5 minutes.  Stir in chicken broth, pineapple,
chutney, brown sugar and curry powder; heat to boiling.  Pour mixture over
chicken.  Bake, uncovered, at 350° until chicken is tender and juices run
clear when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.

Arrange chicken on serving platter; transfer pineapple mixture to large
skillet; heat to boiling.  Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into
pineapple mixture.  Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened about 1
minute.  Stir in black beans; cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes.  Spoon
pineapple-bean mixture over chicken; serve with rice.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:  Calories 459, Carbohydrate 72 g,
Protein 35 g,
Fat 4 g, % of Calories from Fat 9, Sodium 319 mg and Cholesterol 68 mg.

*This recipe is provided courtesy of the Bean Education Awareness Network
(BEAN), an information service of the American Dry Bean Board.  Please
send remarks to [email-masked] -- we are interested in your comments.

rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup; only recipes are accepted for
posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" file first.  Articles go to
[email-masked]; administrative questions go to [email-masked].
Please allow two to five days for your submission to appear.