Subject: COLLECTION (2) Camping
From: Alisa Norvelle <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 1997 05:42:50 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

We make a variation of this at home, i.e., even when we're not on the trail.
It translates to backpacking very well.  This is for two:

CAMPING COUSCOUS

1 cube Veggie boullion
Handful of cashews or pine nuts
Handful of raisins, dried cranberries, apricots or cherries, whatever
A few sun-dried tomatoes
Olive oil
1 cup instant couscous
2 cup water

The ratios will be different, depending on what kind of couscous you buy.
Just follow the package directions for the amount you need for the number
of people you will feed.

If it's sunny outside and you feel up to it, saute the cashews, fruit and
tomatoes together in a little olive oil.  Add the appropriate measure of
water and the boullion cube and bring to a boil.  Stir in the couscous,
remove from the stove and let sit for 5 minutes.  Fluff and eat. 

If it's raining or you're too beat to saute things first, just bring all
ingredients except the couscous to a boil, add the couscous, let sit and
eat. 

CAMPING RICE OR NOODLES

1 package Commercial Rice or Noodle Mix, e.g., Liptons
1 handful dried VegAll
extra cheese
Olive oil

We buy a large bag of frozen VegAll, stick it in the dehydrator and there's
enough dried veggies to last a couple of years of frequent backpacking.
Buy any commercial rice mix, bring it to a boil will a handful of these
dried veggies.  Substitute olive oil for butter (it keeps better and tastes
fine).  Cook until all the water is absorbed.  You can save fuel by taking
it off the stove early and wrapping it in a towel and letting it sit a few
minutes.  Dress this up with some Parmesan and chili flakes or Tabasco.
~~~
Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the "Posting Guidelines" article.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.