Subject: Caesar Salad (3) Collection
From: Ben <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Apr 2000 06:03:50 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

Caesar Salad 
Caesar Salad with Tortellini
Caesar Salad, 'The Original Recipe'

Caeser Salad

1  Med Romaine
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  Pepper; to taste
1 cup Croutons
1 cup Garlic; crushed
6  Anchovies
1/4 teaspoon Mustard,
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire
2 tablespoons Lemon juice
1/3 cup Olive oil.
1  Egg

Yield: 1 servings Tear  washed and dried romaine into fork-
sized pieces and place in a salad bowl.  Pour over dressing
and toss lightly. Add cheese, pepper and croutons. Toss
until well distributed. 

*LINDA HERSHFIELD (KHGS55A)

Caesar Salad with Tortellini

5  Flat anchovies
1  Head of romaine, cut into
  Strips and well chilled
1 teaspoon Dry mustard
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/3 cup Olive oil
1/8 cup Approximately, cider vinegar
  Worchestershire sauce
  Tabasco sauce
2  Eggs, coddled
1  Juice of lemon, or to taste
  Parmesan cheese
  Croutons
  Salt
  Fresh ground pepper
  -MIKE'S KITCHEN-

Yield: 2 + servings Many claims have been made regarding the recipes I've 
collected over the years. This one I can't help but believe: The following is 
the ORIGINAL Caesar Salad recipe, created on the spot from miscellaneous 
ingredients by Chef Caesar, in Tijuanna, in the 1920's! If this really isn't the
original, it should be. It's that good. If the ingredients are balanced just 
right, the result is a rich, smooth, buttery-with-a-hint-of-lemon concoction 
that I have never yet found an equal to. The quantities of spices, etc., listed 
are at best close approximations. I estimated the measures because the salad 
needs to be mixed freehand at the table with as much (understated of course) 
fanfare as possible, and the various amounts are about what are used. A little 
experimentation should make perfect, and would be well worth the effort. This 
recipe is an instance where culinary artistry definitely comes into play. 

THE SALAD BOWL: Should be wooden with a rough, porous surface to "grab" the 
anchovy. Rather than being cut up in the salad, the anchovy is rubbed into the 
bowl. Though other kinds of bowls can be used--metal, ceramic, smooth wood--they
neither pulverize the anchovy as well, nor do they hold the aroma. 

Beforehand, cut the romaine crosswise into eating-sized strips. Chill to crisp. 
When ready to serve the salad, place in the anchovy-seasoned bowl. In another 
smaller bowl, mix the garlic powder and dry mustard, and sprinkle over the 
romaine. Mix lightly to spread the seasonings. (As an alternative, flavor olive 
oil with garlic and use that in place of the the garlic powder and the regular 
olive oil the recipe calls for.) Add 4 - 5 dashes (approx.) of Worchestershire 
sauce and the same of Tabasco, depending on taste. Mix lightly again. Add the 
oil and In yet another small bowl, thoroughly beat the coddled eggs with a small
wire whip, and add to the romaine. Add lemon, salt, and fresh ground pepper, to 
taste. Though a little bit of vinegar is important to the recipe, lemon is the 
more primary of the two ingredients, and should be the one adjusted to taste. 
Add croutons and parmesan cheese in the amounts desired, and mix thoroughly. 
Serve on chilled dinner plates. Garnish with more croutons and parmesan to 
taste. Some of the croutons will be soaked with the dressing, while the ones 
used to garnish will add a crunchy texture. Also, garnish with crossed strips of
anchovy, if desired.

Caesar Salad with Tortellini

3 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Water
1 1/2 tablespoon Olive oil
1 teaspoon Anchovy paste
1/8 teaspoon Freshly ground pepper
1  Clove garlic, crushed
9 ounces Uncooked cheese tortellini
12 cup Torn romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cup 2 inch pieces fresh asparagus
1/4 cup Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and stir well with a whisk and set 
aside. Cook the tortellini in boiling water for 7 minutes or until tender, 
omitting the salt and fat. Drain well and set aside. Arrange the asparagus in a 
vegetable steamer over boiling water. Cover and steam 2 minutes or until 
crisp-tender. Combine asparagus and tortellini in a bowl, add 2 Tbsp of lemon 
juice mixture and toss gently to 4.  Place lettuce in a large bowl; drizzle 
remaining lemon juice mixture over lettuce and toss well. Add tortellini 
mixture, tossing gently to coat. Spoon salad onto serving plates, and sprinkle 
cheese on top.

http://www.recipeway.com/

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.