Subject: Collection (3) Cabbage
From: [email-masked]
Date: 18 Dec 1999 06:15:31 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

LAYERED BEEF AND CABBAGE CASSEROLE
SMOKED SAUSAGE WITH CABBAGE
CHINESE CABBAGE ROLLS

LAYERED BEEF AND CABBAGE CASSEROLE

1 large head green cabbage (about 4 lb.)
1 lb. ground beef
1 (32 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
1/3 cup regular long-grain rice
1/4 cup salad oil
3/4 tsp. salt
1 small onion, minced
1 cup water
1 (8 oz.) pkg. Mozzarella
cheese, coarsely shredded

About 1 1/4 hours before serving, with knife, cut off and discard tough ribs 
from cabbage leaves; coarsely shred cabbage leaves. In 5-quart Dutch oven over 
medium heat, in hot salad oil, cook cabbage and salt until very tender, stirring
occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare meat sauce. In 12-inch skillet over high heat, 
cook ground beef and onion until pan juices evaporate and meat is well browned, 
stirring occasionally. Add spaghetti sauce, water and rice; heat to boiling. 
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender, stirring 
occasionally. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Into 13 x 9-inch baking dish, spoon 
1/2 cup meat sauce. Top with 1/2 of cabbage, 1/2 remaining meat sauce and 1/2 
cheese. Repeat layering with remaining cabbage, meat sauce and cheese. Bake 20 
minutes, or until heated through. Makes 8 servings.

SMOKED SAUSAGE WITH CABBAGE

1 medium-size firm head green
cabbage
1 medium-size onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
(optional)
1/4 cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. reduced salt seasoned
salt
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
flakes
1 pkg. Louis Rich turkey
smoked sausage

Cut cabbage into small wedges; set aside. Spray large skillet with Pam vegetable
cooking spray and add cabbage wedges and onion. In small bowl combine sugar, 
water, garlic, seasoned salt and crushed pepper. Pour into skillet. Cover and 
cook over medium heat 15 minutes, turning cabbage once during this time. Cut 
sausage into 1 inch pieces and stir into skillet. Cover and continue to cook 5 
minutes longer or until sausage is heated. Transfer sausage and cabbage to 
serving dish with slotted spoon. Serve warm. Especially good with a potato side 
dish. Serves 4 to 6.

CHINESE CABBAGE ROLLS

1 whole cabbage head
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 cup water chestnuts,
chopped
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. Accent
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. wine
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
6 Tbsp. oil
2 cup chicken broth
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
hot cooked rice

Cook whole cabbage in rapidly boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and wash with 
cold water. Combine pork, chestnuts, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, Accent, egg, wine 
and soy sauce; mix well. Put 2 tablespoons filling mixture on each cabbage leaf 
and wrap; fasten with toothpick. Heat oil to 300 degrees. Add cabbage rolls, 
turning to coat each side with oil. Pour in chicken broth and mushrooms; cover 
and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat. Put in green onions the last 2 minutes
of cooking time. Make a glaze of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons 
water; pour over cabbage rolls and cook until thickened. Add 3 tablespoon soy 
sauce and cook until thickened. Add 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Serve hot over 
cooked rice.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are 
accepted for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted weekly Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.