Subject: Bubble and Squeak
From: [email-masked] (Philip & Marjorie Thomas)
Date: 10 Jan 1999 14:06:04 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes

There is no meat in the traditional Bubble and Squeak, this is what we had as 
children in Britain.

Bubble and Squeak

1 pound cold potatoes
2 ozs dripping or lard
1 onion, finely chopped
8 ozs cooked cabbage or Brussels sprouts, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste

Finely chop the potatoes and crush slightly. Melt half the fat in a frying pan 
and lightly fry the onions. Mix in the potatoes and greens and season well. 
Add more dripping or lard. Press the mixture into the hot fat and fry over 
medium heat until browned underneath. Turn the mixture over (tossing it if 
you're brave!!), add the last of the fat and fry until the other side is 
browned.

The term 'squeak' comes from the sound it makes as it's cooking as you press 
it down in the pan.

Try and enjoy.

M.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting.  Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.  Recipes/requests
go to [email-masked]; questions/comments to [email-masked].  
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.